I was brought up on Jimmy Buffett music. I loved his songs about beaches, islands, and relaxing before I knew what all the words in his songs meant. My favorite book as a little girl was The Jolly Mon, a kids’ book written by Jimmy Buffett and his daughter, Savannah Jane Buffett. I think this influence on my early life has led to the secret I am about to reveal to you. Here is my confession:
I am a rum girl. I can endure vodka, whiskey, bourbon, and gin, for the most part, but but rum is the only kind of booze that has ever gone down smoothly for me. Clearly Jimmy Buffett’s island escapism has permeated not just my taste in vacations, but also my taste-buds. I also just found out he has recently put out a line of rum– Margaritaville Premium Jamaican Rum— which I would like to try.
I bring this up for two reasons:
1) My anniversary. The other night was my boyfriend’s and my anniversary, and we celebrated by going out for dinner, then making rum spritzers and watching Pirates of the Caribbean. He knew I had been obsessed with pirates for years as a little girl, and threw us a pirate-themed anniversary in honor of my obsession! Here is the recipe for the delicious lemonade rum spritzers we shared (though ours were a bit simpler)– a great summer drink to sip on as the sun goes down.
Lemonade Rum Spritzer
- 3 oz. white rum (I suggest Bacardi)
- club soda
- lemonade (fresh-squeezed or from concentrate)
- Mix 3 oz. white rum with any proportion of club soda and lemonade. Use more lemonade if you want more flavor, more club soda if you want your drink more diluted.
- Add a lime or lemon as a garnish, if desired.
Recipe Courtesy of Botran Rum
- 1 and 1/2 oz. Botran Solera rum
- 1/4 oz. Luxardo Maraschino liquor
- 3/4 oz. fresh squeezed lime juice
- 3/4 oz. cane sugar simple syrup
- 1/2 oz. fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
- Combine rum and other ingredients in a shaker with ice.
- Shake vigorously and strain into a martini or cocktail glass, garnishing with a lime slice.